Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Condensed Mushroom Soup recipe

Here is a great recipe to make your own condensed cream of mushroom soup. I just made some and I made the recipe x4 and made 4 "can" size. (a can is 1-1/2 cups) So I now have 4 "cans" of soup in the freezer to use in recipes instead of buying cans! I froze them in bowls and popped them out and stuck them all in a ziploc bag in the freezer.
It cost around $.40 per "can size" to make this if you use real milk. I used powdered milk and mixed it with water simply because I am out of milk and didnt realize it til I had already started. Lol. So it would be even less im sure if you use powdered milk.
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 3 tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 cup any broth (I used a beef bouillon cube to make mine)
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
  • mushrooms, chopped and sauteed (how ever much you desire)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Melt butter in a saucepan over Med-Low heat.
  2. Stir in flour a little at a time until smooth, then remove from heat.
  3. Add broth and milk a little at a time, stirring to keep mixture smooth. Then, stir in mushrooms.
  4. Return to heat and bring sauce to a gentle boil; stir constantly until sauce thickens.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: