Thursday, October 1, 2009

Garlic Cheese Flatbread


I made a big pot of Chicken soup today in my crockpot so I decided to try and make some cheese bread to go with it. I took 2 different recipes, one from my mother in law and one from allrecipes.com and combined them. It was good but I would personally add more Garlic powder or a little garlic salt plus the garlic powder cause it didnt have any garlic taste.

  • 1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 2 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
I made the dough in my bread machine. If you use your bread machine pour in the water & olive oil first. Then add the flour, salt, sugar and the yeast last. Set your machine to the dough setting and let it go! I had to add a bit of water to the dough after the first few minutes in the machine because it was really dry so just check it after a few minutes.
If you dont have a machine here is the instructions to make the dough by hand:

In a cup or small bowl, sprinkle yeast over the surface of the lukewarm water. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to dissolve.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and sugar. Pour in the yeast mixture along with the olive oil. Beat with a sturdy spoon until dough is stiff enough to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Cover, and set aside until doubled in size, about 35 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead briefly on a floured surface. Roll the dough out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness or to the size of your baking sheet.

Once the dough is rolled out onto your baking sheet. I used a round pizza stone. Spread a generous amount of softened butter with your fingers or a spoon whichever is easier for you onto the dough. Then sprinkle the dough with
2 T. Garlic Powder
1 T. Oregano
Generous sprinkling of Grated parmesan cheese
2 cups Shredded cheddar cheese
Like I said earlier it didnt have much garlic flavor so I would add more garlic powder next time or add the 2 T. garlic powder it calls for and then add some garlic salt also.

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. I left mine in a little longer until it was golden brown on the edges but I like mine crispy.

No comments: